Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Look at me meeting all these semi-famous people

Email #3 Sent Wednesday, May 17

Hello hello,
I just counted, and I have now been living in NYC for 17 days (23 days, as I post this). I feel like I've done so much more in those past 17 New York Days than I
ever do in 17 Provo Days. Maybe that's what happens when everything stays
open past midnight. I'll just make a list of some of the highlights of
the past week:

When I was in the McDonald's on Times Square on Friday night I met
the main guy from "The Single's Ward" and his brother (the guy in the
movie who wanted to bungee-jump the Volkswagen Beetle off the cliff).
And when I say I met them, I mean I mostly just stood there while some
other girls in our group talked to them.

When I went on the Harbor Cruise, a stake-wide singles activity, on
Saturday night I met the guy from Rancho Cucamunga, CA who played the
blind boy on "Dumb and Dumber." You know, the one who says, "Pretty
bird." When I asked him what other stuff he'd done he told me he was
the voice of Christopher Robin on Winnie the Pooh for like six years.

I accidentally took the subway to Brooklyn by myself. I got off when
I realized I wasn't going the right way. Then I asked some lady where
the train that she was waiting for was going. She said, "Manhattan." I
thought to myself, "Hmm, that must mean I'm not in Manhattan anymore."

Jeff, our Ad Lab Professor/Boss came out to the city on Friday. He'd
been at a conference in D.C. so then came up to visit all the
advertising interns. We all met at the Guggenheim Museum. The show
that was up was all these sculptures by a guy named David Smith. I
love art. But I'm actually not very interested in sculptures, at least
not these ones. They were all wrought iron and weird. Adrienne and I
started to "interpret" what we thought each one was, because that was
the only way it was interesting. After the museum I led the
Advertising Excursion to and Indian Restaurant in the East Village. On
the way we walked down this street and I dubbed "Hot Topic Street."
Every single person on the street wore black and had weird hair and
multiple piercings. All of the stores smelled like incense and were
creepy. One of the shops was called "Freaks." I laughed and wanted to
take a picture but for some reason didn't.

I saw "Tarzan" on Broadway last night and it was AMAZing. I love the
movie, and I loved the musical. I don't even care that the reviews
weren't that good. I was on the front row (we got some student
discount tickets: $20) and the "gorillas" swung out over my head. It
was awesome. Everyone had dreadlocks.

I went to a Yankees game on Monday night. Our faculty advisor got us
all tickets, because we have a little bit of a budget for group
activities. We were in the top tier out past first base. Yankees lost,
but I didn't find that out from watching. I was more interested in the
giant youth group of Dominicans nearby us. That's some crazy Spanish,
and they were really entertaining. I guess I go to baseball games for
the atmosphere more than to actually watch the games. I did get a free
Yankees throw blanket though. So that was cool. I had to sign up for a
free credit card to get my free blanket. My reasoning was, "They'll
send this to my house in Farmington. My mom will get the card in the
mail, and then she'll shred it." Ha. I scammed the scammers and got a
free blanket out of it.

After church on Sunday I went to Julia's (my cousin) apartment for
dinner. Even though her apartment is small, it was still really nice
to be in an actual apartment rather than my practically-uninhabitable
dorm room. She lent me a book she'd just finished that had been
recommended from her mom, my aunt Andrea. The book is called "The
History of Love," a novel by Nicole Krauss. Julia said it was
beautiful. It is. I recommend it to any of you. Julia told me that
somehow Andrea has been getting my weekly emails, and I can only
assume that my mom has been forwarding them to the entire extended
family without my knowledge and/or consent.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the opening reception for
the Student One Show Advertising Exhibition. There were ads by seniors
from all the major ad schools around the country. Some of the stuff
from BYU was there. I took lots of pictures and absorbed the
inspiration.

I think I was officially initiated to New York City. It rains
randomly here sometimes. It was pouring rain when I got off the subway
to walk to work yesterday. I had an umbrella, but it seemed useless
because my shoes ended up soaking wet, my socks were soaked through,
and my pants were soaked up to my knees. I pretty much walked around
the office barefoot most of the day. Always exciting.

Anyways, that's all from me for the week. I hope you all have a lovely day.
Love, Becca

1. Me, Jeff Sheets, Karene on the ground floor of the Guggenheim.
2. Ad interns out for Indian food dinner. I'm trying to do some dumb pose.
3. The Harbor Cruise
4. Me with "Dumb and Dumber" boy! I don't know half the people in this picture.
5. Alicia, Anthony, me at the ball game. It may seem like I wear the
same jacket in all of my pictures. That's because I do. I only brought
two to New York.
6. Seth felt like going all "photographer" with my camera.
7. Derek Jeter up to bat.
8. If you don't roll your pants up when it starts to rain here, you'll
definitely be wet up to your knees.
9. Me at the Student Exhibition of the One Show.








2 comments:

  1. That would be Brady, right? My best friend from home is pals with him. I hear about him all the time. "Pretty bird!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, his name is Brady. :)

    Becca, I remember that day that it rained and your pants were wet up to your knees. I'm sure it sucked at the time, but doesn't it must bring a smile to your face thinking about it. haha. Your "initiation" was practically a baptism.

    ReplyDelete

comments are fun.